Probably The Best Curry...
..in British Columbia, possibly Canada or even North America.
After a day of sightseeing in Vancouver we decided to grab an early dinner at Vij's, just south of Granville Island. They don't accept reservations but we thought 6pm (they open at 5:30pm) would be fine. Vij's was already packed with a 30 minute waiting list, but the wait is all part of a very enjoyable experience. Lots of nice waitresses are on hand offering a selection of very tasty Indian canapes. The menu doesn't represent your usual curry house selection, instead the menu wouldn't look out of place in comparison with the offerings from the top Indian restaurants in London. The restaurant has a trendy buzz about it, the interior is very dark and the walls lit up with elephants courtesy of their ethnic lanterns. There's a cut out in the wall at the back of the restaurant where you can see into the kitchen. Interestingly during our dinner the restaurant was purely staffed by rather attractive women, including the kitchen. I guess curry here is sexy? The food does live up to your high expectations and is the best Indian cuisine I have had in North America. I would compare it to my favourites in London, The Red Fort, The Cinnamon Club, La Porte Des Indes and Veeraswamy.
I will certainly be back when I next visit!